Today is the birth anniversary of the most stunning personality I’ve ever learnt, of course you know him, the one and only our beloved Bharat Ratna Dr A. P. J. Abdul kalam.
He needs no introduction, his way of life itself is a lesson and I found him not a person rather a phenomenon. The words people say about M. K. Gandhi, I wanna attribute to him, that the coming generations are going to wonder whether the legendary personality like him was actually leaving or breathing or walking on this earth in this era!!
The only person I see in the recent times who is born and brought up in India, coming from a modest ground but touched the skies and still remained too down to earth to believe.
There is a lot to say but I want to stop here only, since I have no words to describe him as much as he deserves and the works and achievements of the best President of India are unknown to none.
He lived his life so simpally that when he passed away there were only
A few more things I think I should mention for the awareness of my foreign friends 🙂
The Aerospace Scientist, associated with both ISRO and DRDO, was born in a poor fisherman family at Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu, India as Avul Pakir Janulabdeen Abdul Kalam on 15th Oct, 1931.
The honorary degrees he achieved are as follows –
- Distinguished Fellow –Institute of Directors, 1994
- Honorary Fellow- National Academy of Medical Sciences, 1995
- Honorary Doctorate of Science, University of Wolverhampton, UK, 2007
- King Charles ll Medal – UK, 2007
- Honorary Doctor of Engineering – Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 2008
- International Von Karman Wings Award – California Institute of Technology, USA, 2009
- Hoover Medal – American Society of Mechanical Engineers, USA, 2009
- Doctor of Engineering – University of Waterloo, Canada,2010
- IEEE Honorary Membership – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, USA, 2001
- Honorary Doctor of Laws – Simon Fraser University, Canada, 2012
- Honorary Doctor of Science – University of Edinburgh, Scotland, 2014
Prestigious Awards are a long lost again (just a few here)
- 1981: Padm Bhushan- Government of India
- 1990: Padm Vibhushan- Government of India
- 1997: Bharat Ratna – Government of India
- 1997: Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration – Government of India
- 1998: Veer Savarkar Award – Government of India
- 2000: SASTRA Ramanujan Prize-Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy, India
- 2013: Von Braun Award – National Space Society, USA
The Indian Missile Man penned the following (taken from internet) along with other things
- Developments in Fluid Mechanics and Space Technology by A P J Abdul Kalam and Ronda Blessings; Indian Academy of Sciences, 1988
- India 2020: A Vision for the New Millennium by A P J Abdul Kalam, Y. S. Rohan; New York, 1998.
- Wings of Fire: An Autobiography by A P J Abdul Kalam, Arun Tiwari; Universities Press, 1999.
- Ignited Minds: Unleashing the Power Within India by A P J Abdul Kalam; Viking, 2002.
- The Luminous Sparks by A P J Abdul Kalam, by; Punya Publishing Pvt Ltd., 2004.
- Mission India by A P J Abdul Kalam, Paintings by LA Gupta; Penguin Book, 2005
- Inspiring Thoughts by A P J Abdul Kalam; Rajpal & Sons, 2007
- Indomitable Spirit by A P J Abdul Kalam; Rajpal and Sons Publishing
- Envisioning an Empowered Nation by A P J Abdul Kalam with A Sivathanu Pillai; Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi
- You Are Born To Blossom: Take My Journey Beyond by A P J Abdul Kalam and Arun Tiwari; Ocean Books, 2011.
- Turning Points: A journey through challenges by A P J Abdul Kalam; Harper Collins India, 2012.
- Target 3 Billion: by A P J Abdul Kalam and Srijan Pal Singh; December 2011, Publisher Penguin Books
- My Journey: (titled எனது பயணம் – Tamil) Transforming Dreams into Actions by A P J Abdul Kalam; 2014 by the Rupa Publication.
- A Manifesto for Change: A Sequel to India 2020 by A P J Abdul Kalam and V Ponraj; July 2014 by Harper Collins
- Forge your Future: Candid, Forthright, Inspiring by A P J Abdul Kalam; by Rajpal and Sons, 29 October 2014.
- Reignited: Scientific Pathways to a Brighter Future by A P J Abdul Kalam and Srijan Pal Singh; by Penguin India, 14 May 2015
- Transcendence: My Spiritual Experiences with Pramukh Swamiji by A P J Abdul Kalam with Arun Tiwari; HarperCollins Publishers, June 2015
- Advantage India: From Challenge to Opportunity by A P J Abdul Kalam and Srijan Pal Singh; HarperCollins Publishers,15 Oct 2015.
- Eternal Quest: Life and Times of Dr Kalam by S Chandra; Pentagon Publishers, 2002.
- President A P J Abdul Kalam by R K Pruthi; Anmol Publications, 2002.
- A P J Abdul Kalam: The Visionary of India by K Bhushan, G Katyal; A P H Pub Corp, 2002.
- A Little Dream (documentary film) by P. Dhanapal; Minveli Media Works Private Limited, 2008.
- The Kalam Effect: My Years with the President by P M Nair; Harper Collins, 2008.
- My Days With Mahatma Abdul Kalam by Fr A K George; Novel Corporation, 2009.
- A.P.J. Abdul Kalam: A Life by Arun Toward; Haper Collins, 2015.
- The People’s President: Dr A P J Abdul Kalam by S M Khan; Bloomsbury Publishing, 2016.
In the 2011 Hindi film ‘I Am Kalam’, Kalam is portrayed as a positive influence on a poor but bright boy named Chhotu from Rajasthan, who renames himself Kalam in honour of his idol.
After serving a Presidential term he lived his his life for vision 2030 and as a simple teacher. Which is a rare case in India.